Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fear of Scaling

My best friend is nagging my to get my fat butt onto the scale. My best friend, who's lost around 150 pounds (!) with a combination of low-carb and lap-band. All I can think is "ugh" but I'm beginning to think he's right. I actually dreamed about it last night.

Another friend is getting ready to do lap-band surgery. I'm quite worried about her, as is my best friend. Her doctor has been trying to get her to lose weight in prep for it and wants her low-carbing both before and after the procedure, but she hasn't even been trying. She appears to think that the lap-band is a magic wand that will make her weight just disappear. Don't we all wish? I do know people who've had the surgery, lost a large amount of weight initially, but then put it back on because they didn't actually change any habits after. They kept forcing the same old foods and drinks down their throats (and you can consume a hell of a lot of liquid calories through that tiny little lap-band hole), didn't get up and move, and wondered why it didn't work for 'em.

She also seems pretty deep in denial about what a carb is. And determined to spike my efforts as well.

Day before yesterday she called me from Starbucks and asked if I wanted a coffee. I said sure, that'd be wonderful, grab me an iced coffee with a splash of half-and-half. She brought it by my office, I took a drink ... it had been sweetened. Bleah. Gave it to co-worker who's NOT dieting.

Yesterday she brings me a cup of this concoction she's made, something with protein powder, ice and dairy ... announces proudly that it's only two net carbs. Great! I take a drink, it's not bad, then she proceeds to tell me that she made it with whole milk.

Umm. Yeah. 11 net carbs in a cup of milk. I didn't have the heart. I just quietly dropped it into the garbage when she wasn't looking and covered it with some other trash.

Anyway, way off topic there. I need to suck it up and get on that scale. Terrified of it, honestly. My own brand of denial: I don't WANT to know how much I weigh right now!

But not today. Today's my birthday. Lemme enjoy one more day of denial, thanksmuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment