Friday, September 24, 2010

True Confessions

My mom had a huge stack of those old True Confessions magazines hidden away in the basement when I was a kid. Of course, being a kid, they didn't stay hidden for long (yeah, I was a nosy brat) and I'd sneak down there and read 'em ... and giggle at the silly women between those pages, "Married to a Liar, Deathbed Revelation!", "I Had My Baby in an Abandoned Coal Mine!" (Yeah, I was a freaky kid, too.)

Of course, stacked up against that example, my own True Confessions are really kinda boring: "I Haven't Been Exercising!" "I'm Eating Too Many Calories!" 

The stress at work is just strangling my interest in anything else, dragging my energy down to the point where all I'm doing right now is get up, stare at the computer and drink coffee, shower, go to work, work, come home, stare at the computer and drool on myself, eat supper, try to sleep. I'm sticking more or less to the low-carb thing but wayyyy too many calories, not sleeping enough, and not getting any exercise or drinking anything like enough water. Funnily enough, my weight hasn't budged in two weeks.

I know it's just a pile of excuses. I know that. But they're bloody easy to make right now. I keep telling myself that the fiscal year will be over in a couple of weeks and we'll all be able to breathe. The level of drama will die down. I can get back to working normal hours. I keep telling myself that I'll get back with the program when that happens.

Yeah, I know I'm being silly. I know that.

Okay, today ... just today ... I'll eat properly, I'll drink 3 liters of water, and I'll hop on the bike when I get home, even if it's just for a few minutes. I promise.

I promise myself.

2 comments:

  1. That's what I tell myself: just for today, I won't hop in my car and buy sodas and junk food. Just for today, I'll drink a half-gallon of tea. Just for today ...

    That's the way the alcoholics do it. And we're (or at least, I'm) addicted to foods.

    Good post. Thanks. Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vee! It's true, innit? Took me long enough to really understand that ... food is just as much of a drug to me as alcohol, if I were a drinker.

    And by the way, love your blog redesign!

    ReplyDelete